Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Life of a Piano Teacher........part 1, Judith Shaltanis

When I started this blog, I reached out to a few of my piano teacher friends and of course one of my former piano teachers, to be a guest blogger-which is our first guest blogger, Judith Shaltanis. I'm not sure if I can call her a former teacher, because she is still teaching me-teaching me about new piano methods and ideas for students who need special help. She will call or I will call and we'll trade stories about our teaching life and performing life. When I decided to open my own piano studio in Brooklyn in 1984, I traveled back to Iowa to be trained by her in the Lo Kno Pla method-which I still use today. Judith was one of the first piano teachers to be trained by the author of that method-Ruth Stevenson Alling. It's now taught all over the country and in Canada. I feel very fortunate to have learned that method-because it gives such joy to all of my beginning students-regardless of their age-and that I still have a wonderful and evolving relationship with "my teacher" who is also now my friend and colleague. Here's her story........

In my life, the day usually starts at 3:15. No, that is not when I roll out of bed, but when I must be ready, dressed and excited to meet the first after school piano student. Most days that student can walk from the nearby elementary school, which means a part of the lesson is telling me about their school day before we can get much piano teaching done.

After almost 50 years of this routine, it is difficult to imagine any other life. I know, 50 years ago I didn’t have to worry about 401k’s, health insurance and retirement portfolios, that was to be the concern of my husband. Those were the days when very few women worked outside the home, and teaching piano was not outside the home. The first years of my teaching career were in a small Nebraska town. At that time I thought 20 students was a full load. Little did I know how I would change that perception!

After two short stays in small towns, our family settled in suburban Des Moines. I have three sons; two were born shortly after moving to a new town; so I wasn’t teaching yet in that location. However, the third one was born after a day of teaching 10 kids. I had made arrangements to have substitute teachers for the youngest students for a “maternity leave”, but I can remember teaching high school girls with a nursing baby. Yes, babies can sleep through piano lessons. I would schedule daytime adult lessons during nap time. During the after school hours I always had a babysitter. The sitters could be younger, after all I was still in the house, and my boys enjoyed the variety of sitters. I just closed the door to the studio, and the rest of the house was theirs.

The biggest change in my teaching came after I learned how to teach the LoKnoPla method. This unique approach allowed me to teach two students at the same time, one on each piano. This also allowed me to expand my studio, and eventually I taught as many as 60 students per week. LoKnoPla is a wonderful way to begin students. The student plays recognizable music with two hands all over the keyboard from the first lessons. It also allows the teacher time to decide which traditional method would be the best fit for the learning style of each student.
I no longer teach two students simultaneously. You need to stand to be efficient at that, and my old bones can’t manage standing for long periods without pain. But, here lies the beauty of being a private piano teacher. I can sit alongside some of the neatest young people in Iowa and watch them develop musically. I can keep somewhat current by listening to their vocabulary and their personal musical preferences. I can introduce students to others who share their love for the piano, and nurture those friendships through group piano activities. I can feel the love of a child for their teacher, and the gratitude of their parents that they are learning a long cherished art. Being self-employed, I can schedule, and afford, built in vacations. I can maintain long-term relationships with families. Yes, I have taught children of former students, and most of the kids I teach now are the age of my grandchildren. Who needs a retirement check in the mail when you can get all these perks and earn that retirement check weekly? It is probably a good thing that my husband of almost 50 years still seems to provide me with those other retirement benefits. I cannot imagine a more fulfilling life.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. Would love to hear more about the piano method you use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,
    It's called Lo Know Pla (which stands for Love-Know-Play)and was created many years ago by Ruth Stevenson Alling-who is no longer with us.
    It uses letter names and black key symbols, arranged in the same way as piano music along with bar lines and key music vocabulary-but not standard music notation, that is introduced after the first 3-6 months. The idea behind the method is to teach the student how to play the piano, develop eye hand coordination, ear training, time, rhythm and memorization skills.
    The student is introduced to music notation in the second packet, and that's usually when I begin to also use standard piano method books-my preference is the Faber Piano Adventure series.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks for reading!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,
    Years ago I trained with Judith for Lo Kno Play. I am unable to find out how to order it anymore. I taught early childhood music for years and now am back at private piano with "older" bones, too. Thank you! Dena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dena,
      Go to my full profile and you'll see my email, send me yours and I'll put you in touch with Judith.
      Best, Diane

      Delete
  4. I taught LoKnoPla for a number of years, then stopped teaching. I am thinking about teaching again, but don't know where to find the LoKnoPla packets, games, etc. And you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea where to buy the LoKnoPla packets. I've searched for them online and have only found packets that were being sold by individuals on Amazon. Good luck with the teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the reply. I still have SOME of my games, etc. that I can use. That'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ethel Fluke of Des Moines was my beloved teacher. She left all of her music to me, and after 30 years, I'm finally going to start teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ethel Fluke of Des Moines was my beloved teacher. She left all of her music to me, and after 30 years, I'm finally going to start teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a set we'd like to use to teach with. Any idea who to contact to get permission to make copies of the loknopla sets?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, I took lessons from Ruth Stevenson Alling in the 1960's when I was a child living in Corpus Christi, Texas! She was a wonderful. I absolutely LOVED playing the piano and learning from her. After we moved away, I quit taking lessons because I did not enjoy working with my new teacher. Is there any way, as an mature adult that I can pick up and continue to learn using her method? I live in Charlotte, N.C. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, I took LoKnoPla lessons in Corpus when I was little as well. I think my teacher was Mrs. Snyder. I still have the packets and have attempted to use them in later years. Don't remember how to use them, but I want to start again. Any info you can give on how to begin again ??? Funny, my best friend and his wife live in Charlotte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In 1961 or so, my sister and I took piano lessons from Mrs. Alling in La Mesa, California, a suburb of San Diego. I remember how Mr. Alling would serve the kids little cookies and pink lemonade. The Allings had regular recitals during which we students would play what we had learned: "Hot Crossed Buns," etc. Parents were asked to donate toward the construction of a future Lo Kno Pla Institute, and I remember seeing a nicely rendered architect's rendering of the proposed building with a red donation thermometer next to it which would creep upward as donations came in. I guess my parents were skeptical, as my sister and I were soon taking our piano lessons from another teacher wh came to our home. Years later I recall my parents telling us how the Allings had left town with the donated money. It's kind of funny how this morning I thought about this and, following a Google search of "Lo Kno Pla, I came across some listings of used Lo Kno Pla music books at Amazon as well as this blog! It looks like the Allings moved their business to Corpus Christi and then to Virginia. An interesting footnote to a childhood memory and, thanks to the Internet, something of a solving of a decades-old personal mystery!

    ReplyDelete